What is a Culture Guide?A Culture Guide is a robust, highly customized website that successfully promotes a region's arts and culture activities. For each city, the Culture Guide becomes the authoritative online cultural events calendar for residents and tourists alike, while collectively marketing the offerings of regional arts organizations, large and small. Culture Guides feature user-friendly tools that make them easy for non-technical staff to maintain.
Launched: June 2006
Sponsored by HarlemOneStop, a cultural tourism initiative of the Arts and Business Council.
Launched: April 2009
Launched: May 2008
Sponsored by KERA Public Media
Launched: October 2008
Sponsored by the Delaware Division of the Arts
Launched: April 2008
Sponsored by the Cultural Alliance of Greater Washington
How Does a Culture Guide Work?Culture Guides are powerful, easy-to-use, and tailored to match each region's unique needs and aesthetic.
- The Calendar of Events is searchable by date range, culture category (Dance, Jazz, Museums & Galleries, etc.) and neighborhood. Event detail pages include important information on each venue including directions and nearby restaurants.
- A Directory of Arts and Culture Attractions is also browseable by category and neighborhood and provides important information about the attraction such as parking, admission rates, hours, and hosted events.
- A smart Search feature allows visitors to quickly find specific events—for example: a family-friendly performance occurring this Friday night in the neighborhood near the visitor's hotel, within walking distance to a moderately priced restaurant!
- Features spotlight special events and attractions such as festivals, city-wide seasonal events, and regional campaigns.
- Site visitors can sign up for weekly E-mails that highlight upcoming events and offer special discounts.
- A banner advertising system provides a source of revenue.
Virtually all content on the site can be self-managed by the city's arts or tourism group. Intuitive, user-friendly tools enable administrative users to set homepage content, edit text and images, create mailings, and manage banner advertising.